Sonntag, 1. Januar 2023

ChatGPT. Welcome to our new computer overlords, or at first a new layer to access complicated things?

(first draft, I am adding more thoughts)


I am very impressed by the pictures that were created by DALL-E and other KI software that show up on social media since some months. I am even more impressed by the the programming work (I am no programmer) that some people have done with its help. Talking to a machine (by keyboard or even by voice) to make it do something complicated that I could think about but what I couldn't achieve on my own is very tempting. I tried to learn Sketchup which is quite an easy to learn 3D drawing program (in contrast to professional CAD software) but could not concentrate enough and find my way through the many different ways you can achive the same thing. I thought some time ago before KI was easy available about using it to access a CAD program or even the more complex functions of Microsoft Word. And so I was very surprised when I found a Youtube video titled "Can ChatGPT Program Your CNC Machines?

Before I had the time to watch it I saw a post on Mastodon, reposted by mastodon.social/@delong, someone I regard as smarter than me.

https://toad.social/@davetroy/109610129279609016

By thinking about it and by watching the mentioned video I came up with the idea that chatGPT is maybe not the new mastermind that is smarter than most of us and pushes brainworkers out of their  jobs but a new layer that can be put upon many (computer related) tasks  in the same way that a GUI is put on. The graphical user interface was not the first to make it easier to access computers. There was ticker tape, then you could access the computer visually on a monitor, then there was something like Unix or DOS with command prompts, and only then came the graphical user interface invented by Xerox and Apple and then becoming a standard with MS Windows.

The same happened earlier with machines. Imagine an old steam engine, build in a workshop for a special task, pnly to be accessed by someone who knew what he was doing. The first layer of making it easier to access it would simply be to write signs for every changeable input or output device or any servicable part. 

Here is a picture from a submarine vessel from 1918. Would you know how to access it? 



Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/8770724256/

An old Ford Model T has fewer levers and wheels to change but cars got easier to access, too. Sometimes on the surface, sometimes it got built in, like automatic gear change.


Using AI as some sort of GUI

When I try to use a CAD software I am overwhelmed with all the possibilities it offers. With a KI administering it I only need to know what I want as a result. In a car I just have to push the gas pedal to become faster, I do not need to know to change the amount of fuel pushed in the combustion chamber, adjust the amount of air for best burning process. With a KI driven car of the future I just need to know where I want to go to. 

KI is a tool in development, obviously, and it gets smarter through improved software and by new material that is fed into it, so in the future it will become better with first results, it will know more programming software and have "learned" more, and 

Keine Kommentare: